Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Pumpkin Muffin Tops


Pumpkin Muffin Tops

I made this up a few weeks ago, because I needed something healthy and easy to eat while at school. I used the ingredients I usually keep on hand, and the first batch I made was with mashed bananas. I really like those. I do think you can substitute the banana with ANY mashed fruit really...and after making this batch with pureed pumpkin, I think I should have added a ½ cup of honey (or molasses, or maple syrup!) simply because the pumpkin doesn't have the same sweetness that bananas do. They were still good, just not as sweet and moist. So if you use pumpkin, that is my recommendation! AND, don't forget, you can just put this batter straight into muffin tins if you don't want to mess with tradition. You may need to cook it a few minutes longer if you choose to do that though, so just be aware of any adjustments you'll need to get a perfect result.

3 cups pureed pumpkin (or banana, applesauce, or other pureed fruit like peaches)
6 egg whites
1 tsp maple extract
2 cups old fashioned oats, ground down in food processor
2 cups old fashioned oats, as is (yes, 4 cups total)
1 cup ground flax seed
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 TBSP cinnamon (add 1 tsp each of nutmeg and ginger, and 1/2 tsp of cloves if using pumpkin)
2 ½ cups sugar free vanilla whey protein powder

Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Scoop a heaping ¼ measuring cup out onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper...3 will fit at a time. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cool, and then for easy transport (breakfast, snack, or pre/post workout on the go) wrap in zippered sandwich bags and refrigerate or freeze. One "muffin top" fits perfectly into a sandwich bag...perfect size serving! Really tasty and satisfying - ENJOY!

Nutrition information: Calories: 224 -- Fat: 5 grams -- Carbs: 32 grams (fiber 7 grams, sugar 9 grams) - Protein: 18 grams


No comments:

Post a Comment